Pages

Saturday, December 28, 2013

preston's top 20 songs of 2013

Here is my list of favorite songs from 2013.  Since Ynna is my wife, we listen to a lot of the same music.  So for every song on my list that Ynna already posted, I have not included a link - you can just look at Ynna’s list.  


20. St. Lucia - Too Close
Sounds like the 80s. And I like it.

19. Jhene Aiko Ft. Childish Gambino - Bed Peace

The cover of the single captures the song perfectly:


18. Avicii - All You Need Is Love
The only true EDM song on my list.  I guess I lost the dance bug this year.  But I think this song captures the joyous, elevated feeling that you get from a good house song.  (Note: There is another version of this song that I don’t like as much. I think this one is called the “spotify bonus” version)


17. Washed Out - It All Feels Right
So dreamy. Makes me feel like I’m either a) underwater b) in a jungle or c) in an underwater jungle.  


16. Kanye West - Blood on the Leaves
Ugh that trombone bass line.


15. RAC ft Kele & MNDR - Let Go
A summer JAM.


14. Vampire Weekend - Step
I love how this sounds like a song from a Wes Anderson film.


13. The Weeknd - Wanderlust (Pharrell Remix)
Pretty groovy.  Abel doing his best MJ.


12. Mariah Carey Ft. Miguel - #Beautiful


11. Active Child Ft Ellie Goulding - Silhouette
A beautiful, almost translucent, duet.


10. Little May - Hide
A folk indie gem with that Fleetwood Mac/bohemian cowgirl/Neko Case vibe.


9. Frank Ocean - Eyes Like Sky
This is Frank Ocean doing a song for the O.C. soundtrack for his cameo episode.  This is from the scene where Marissa falls for Frank and they sit on the lifeguard tower and watch the sun set over the Pacific.


8. Cody ChestnuTT - Till I Met Thee
Oh lawdy, lawdy! A gospel choir sounding jam that makes me want to stand up and sing in church.


7. Arcade Fire - Here Comes the Night Time  
If you haven’t seen it, Roman Coppolla’s 22 minute Arcade Fire music video featuring Michael Cera, Zach Galifianakis, Bill Hader and others is hilarious.  It opens with this song and ever since I saw it, I was hooked.  I dug AF’s caribbean voodoo rhythms.  This song makes me want to move and groove, and it often inspires some pretty tribal dance moves.


6. Lorde - Love Club
I don’t know why, but I like this one a little more than Royals.


5. Dive In - Let Go
This has that Cults/Tennis, lo-fi, carefree early-summer sound.  I can imagine listening to this song in the springtime, hanging out at the park.


4. Lady Gaga - Gypsy
I really liked “Applause” and “Sexx Dreams” from this album, but “Gypsy” was my favorite.  This is Lady Gaga’s best impression of a Journey rock ballad, and it is sing-a-long winner.


3. Daft Punk - Get Lucky
Probably my most anticipated song of the year.  it didn’t disappoint.  


2. Sam Smith - Nirvana
This one sounds like a hazy intoxicated dream where you did something you weren’t supposed to but loved every minute of it.  The slow heavy drum beats do a strangely perfect job of complementing Smith’s R&B falsetto.  The acoustic version of this song (which is posted here on my list) is also quality.  


Every summer I end up choosing a song or two to be my main jams.  This year, “Hurricane” was the song that will live in my memory as the song of summer 2013, which happened to be one of the best of my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment