Tuesday, February 11, 2014
Sunday, February 9, 2014
Azns are killing it in New York this week. Here are my thoughts on Alexander Wang, Prabal Gurung and Derek Lam.
Prabal! I love you. Most beautiful color palette in this collection, particularly his use of reds. I chose the first look because it was one of the simpler pieces of the collection but for me, one of the most wearable. Next is a great coat in that lovely teal. The third look was one of the most impressive to me because I could only think about how hard it was t construct. It looks like a suit jacket turned halter dress. Prabal is a master with the geometric silhouettes. Next I thought this gown was a fun take on the typical eveningwear with the fluffy feathers. The next look I chose because it's another great example of Prabal's geometric handiwork. I looove this orange evening gown with the printed top. Really beautiful. Finally his third and second to last looks were identical gowns in different shades of red. Very dramatic and I love the cutout in the belly. Someone wear this to the Oscars pleeeease.
Saturday, February 8, 2014
Last night was the opening ceremonies for the Olympics, one of my favorite television events. It warms my heart to see the nations of the world coming together through sport. Maybe I get a little teary eyed when I see the lone athlete carrying their country's flag because THEY MADE IT and I'm just so proud of them. Also the host country always puts on a spectacular show illustrating their culture and history that I always find entertaining and educational. This year I was absolutely mesmerized by the ballet dancing re-enacting Tolstoy's War and Peace. Another favorite part is seeing each country's outfits. I have ranked my favorites on a scale a little different than my NYFW favorites. These are not necessarily the most chic outfits, but to me they were my favorites because they were unique and/or good representations of each country and/or chic.
Half hideous/half cool, I thought these were sweet ski jackets that certainly represented Tonga's tropical climate. Plus these would actually be cool to wear skiing.
Because they actually wear those exact outfits to work in Bermuda. Way to represent your country guys!
Willy Bogner for Adidas created these rainbow creations. Perhaps a political statement, but mostly one of the most memorable outfits of the night. These would also look cool on the slopes, pants included.
Duh I would like the fur. They look a little bit Christmas-y, but very Russian and very warm designs by BOSCO. I enjoyed these luxe fur trimmed numbers and props to the host nation for a great opening ceremony.
Cute toggle coats and even cuter beanies and mittens by Hudson's Bay. Preston admitted to wanting a beanie. We are a house divided for these games.
Ok soooo chic. These are Lacoste and both the men's and women's coats are flyyy. A very very close second
Say what you want about Team USA hosting an ugly sweater party but I am DOWN with these crazy knit wonders. Everything from the beanie to the turtleneck to that wild sweater to the white pants looks super American and in my opinion, super fly. I legitimately want one of the sweaters. Ralph, you've done it again.
Hope y'all enjoy the winter games this year. Go USA!
Friday, February 7, 2014
Thursday, February 6, 2014
Is this the most boring blog post I've ever written? Perhaps.
Little known fact- I am obsessed with those "What's in her purse?" articles/snippets usually found within the pages of USWeekly and Seventeen magazine. I know it's 1000x more interesting to know what is in Elizabeth Olsen's purse, but since I recently got this bag, I thought I'd enlighten you with what I always carry with me.
1. I keep my things in a J.Crew Sophie crossbody bag. I love the crossbody cuz it's functional, nonfussy and hands-free, but still very chic.
2. One of my most favorite presents I've ever received is my Marc by Marc Jacobs Classic Q Slim Zip Wallet. It is my first grown-up wallet and I define grown-up wallet by one that keeps your bills flat and has multiple credit card holders. Everyone should invest in a quality wallet because you will die with that thing.
3. I'm addicted to chapstick especially when it's in the form of a little egg i.e. the EOS chapstick egg in sweet mint.
4. I always have my keys with me because duh.
5. I take the train to work a couple times a week so I always keep a book in my bag and right now it's the fascinating but frustrating Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer. I have been reading a lot of mediocre fiction lately, so I switched to my nonfiction to-read list and it has been significantly better. But I am still desperate for another book hangover so please throw me your suggestions!
6. Finally my hands are always dry so I hydrate with Caudalie Hand and Nail Cream.
As a reward for reading this snoozer, here's a song I stumbled upon today. It's a cover of Neutral Milk Hotel's "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea," one of my favorite songs of all time. It takes me back to high school and leaving early to hang out with my boyfriend. RIP dude. But really this cover is precious.
Also you should know it has been snowing on and off all day in Dallas :-O