Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

i don't recall a single care, just greenery and humid air

We had a very artistic and beautiful weekend starting with an Iron & Wine and Death Cab for Cutie concert on Friday night. When Preston found the tickets, it was literally days after I had lamented that I had never seen Death Cab for Cutie and wanted so badly to see them. We sat on the lawn on a surprisingly cool evening and enjoyed the beautiful sounds of Sam and Ben. Iron & Wine is our favorite band and it's always a treat to see them perform. This time it was just Sam and his guitar and I couldn't have asked for a better set list.

^DCFC
The venue was the Gexa Energy Pavilion, which is where I saw the Jonas Brothers almost a year ago to the day. This time I was not sitting with high school strangers, but my sweet husband. Death Cab for Cutie was fantastic. My middle school and high school years are defined by Transatlanticism and Plans. I wrote an album review for my high school paper for Plans and listened to "Someday You Will Be Loved" on repeat for hours after breaking up with my boyfriend. There were a lot of feelings during Death Cab's performance and I cried steadily through "I Will Follow You Into the Dark." It was also cool to be in attendance for one of Chris Walla's final shows. I loved this night and highly suggest seeing both artists in concert if they're ever in your area.
^Me on the way to the theatre.
On Sunday, Preston surprised me with tickets to see the final performance of Les Mis at the Dee and Charles Wyly Theatre downtown. I'm not a big musical person, but I'm very fond of everything about Les Mis from the score to the story (which I read last year and it was SO LONG.) I've never seen a real theater company perform it, so I was excited to see the show. This version was done in a contemporary style, which pretty much meant the costumes were not from the French 1700s. I'll be honest, I didn't really like the contemporary twist. I wanted to see French Revolution rags, not SWAT team uniforms (the guards/military all looked like straight up SWAT. it was awful). But the actors were fabulous and Jean Valjean was incredible and of course I cried. To love another person is to see the face of God?? COME ON. I can't not.

I had a great time seeing my favorite bands and musical this past weekend and am happy to share the same music taste as Preston.

No comments:

Post a Comment