Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

paperback girl back before it was cool

 "She was pretty, definitely, but more important was the book she kept in her bag. A girl with a book is innately attractive; men understand that if she can tolerate the act of reading for the sake of pleasure, she'll likely put up with all manner of nonsense for the sake of a relationship. I was smitten-" Jack Cazir

I like to believe/hope this is true.
I keep a Moleskine in my purse that I write little notes in, but the main reason I have it is to write down book titles. I am forever reading about a book I want to read, or get a recommendation from someone and I always add it to my mental list of 'Books to Read' but there is something so satisfying about keeping a physical list of all of these titles and crossing them off when I complete them. Break is a perfect time to cross off items from this list. If I were to define my Christmas break in two words they would be: eat, read, because essentially, those are the majority of the events that encompass my days.

Here is my Christmas 2k11 reading list:
1) Superfreakonomics- Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner
2) The Tipping Point- Malcolm Gladwell
3) True Prep- Leslie Birnbach
4) The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time- Mark Haddon
5) Blink- Malcolm Gladwell
6) Ham on Rye- Charles Bukowski

I read and loved Freakonomics this past summer, so Superfreakonomics has been on my list for awhile. It exceeded my expectations and was a great start for break. The Tipping Point has been my favorite Malcolm Gladwell book so far; I highly recommend it. True Prep is the updated version of  The Official Preppy Handbook. Not as good, but still entertaining. Also I was more familiar with the brands, stores, schools, etc. mentioned.

There's a quote out there that says something like, 'don't think you have a future with someone if your record/book collection wouldn't even speak to each other at a party' or something along those lines. There is a lot of truth to this I think. Good books, indie music and quick wit are the keys to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment