Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

nyfw favorites

I decided to share my favorites from New York Fashion Week 2013. From left to right:
These first two are 3.1 Phillip Lim, one of my favorite womenswear designers right now. I think his clothes are functional and kind of remind me of architecture. Or maybe it's the "3.1" in his name that remind me of a model of a building or car. I really liked the simplicity of the camel coat and there is no such thing as too many black dresses. 

The next three are from Oscar de la Renta. I'm sad to conclude that I was disappointed with this show. Apparently John Galliano helped design this season and was in the building during the show. This collection was kind of boring and lacked the usual fairy tale glamour I so look forward to in Oscar shows. I did enjoy this toile print and both the toile dress and skirt reminded me of pieces Audrey Hepburn would have worn in Roman Holiday. I love a sheer neckline and lace. If I didn't have to wear a modest wedding gown, I think I would model it after this black dress. 

The next three are Marchesa. Marchesa is slowly creeping its way as my favorite eveningwear house. Season after season they deliver gorgeous gowns that I would die to wear. I love myself a collar and the billowy sleeves and full skirt made for an unexpected twist. I really want to see the next two gowns on the red carpet- maybe grey for Keira Knightley and pink for...? But someone has to work that pink. 

Next five are Marc Jacobs, probably my favorite show from NYFW that I've looked at so far. Marc's show was very old school glam- fur, sparkle and silk. What was interesting was his use of a pajama separates in silk. There were tons of pajama shirt and pant separates, none of which I really liked so I didn't include. The sparkly coat is exactly what I want to see when the weather is miserable. I liked the simple cableknit but especially the fact that the fox shawl has eyes. Creepy, funny and luxe. There are a handful of pieces I don't want to die without owning and one of them is a glam fur coat. I would be happy with this white one. I like the pale pink and there's nothing better than head-to-toe sequins. 

Finally, Prabal Gurung is another favorite that grows on me every season. This year he demonstrated his master tailoring skills with impeccable military coats and perfect draping. I loved the olive silk material in the first and third look. I thought the white was such an interesting silhouette and the final olive gown was my favorite of the show. Reminded me of this look from one of my favorite Lanvin shows (SS2011).

Stay tuned for more NYFW faves and London!

No comments:

Post a Comment