Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2011

more fit for the kingdom

I love that Conference weekend always falls before finals because it's exactly what I need before I endure the weeks of no sleep, stress and near-breakdowns. This year I had the opportunity to attend 3 sessions (Saturday afternoon and both Sunday sessions), and my heart is so full. Here are some of my favorite moments/quotes/talks from this weekend:

-Dallin H. Oaks' address about desires
-Desires dictate our priorities, priorities shape our choices, choices determine our actions -Elder Oaks

-Dieter F. Uchtdorf's "Waiting on the Road to Damascus" talk
-Uchtdorf talking about texting. I think any time a general authority mentions specific social media, it makes me smile.
-Preach the gospel at all times and if necessary, use words -President Uchtdorf

-David A. Bednar's talk about 2 types of light
-Elder Bednar always uses the most memorable metaphors in his talks, and this was no exception. I still remember the pickle talk.

-MoTab singing before President Eyring could introduce them

-President Monson's talk about temples
-I am always so touched when I hear the accounts of members who sacrifice everything just to attend the temple, and President Monson's talk was full of them.
-Following this talk, the choir concluded the session with "The Spirit of God" and it was honestly one of the most beautiful renditions of they hymn, and probably my favorite moment of Conference.

-Richard G. Scott's talk about his beloved Janine
-I love, love, love when the apostles mention their wives and refer to them as their "sweethearts." I think it is the single most adorable thing. Elder Scott's talk was so incredibly tender and the way he spoke about his wife made my heart melt. I love the way the brethren revere their wives and love how they give them all the credit for their greatness.
-When he saluted in this talk.

-Lynn G. Robbins' talk about being vs. doing

-Jeffrey R. Holland everything
In addition to the opportunity to hear the words of our prophet and leaders, I also got to see Sister Blythe Beecroft at the Beehive House!! Blythe is one of my dear friends from Maryland who I met at EFY. She is easily one of the best people I know. Blythe has the rare quality of making everyone feel good about themselves and is so selfless. She is an excellent listener and always has great advice. I am so thankful I met her and was so thrilled to see her today. I've been to Temple Square a few times this year, and every single time I somehow miss her or catch her on her P-day, but today I was lucky and got to go on a tour of the Beehive House directed by Sister Beecroft and her companion. She was so bubbly and sweet the whole time and it made me realize how much I miss her and how lucky Temple Square is to have such a faithful servant of the Lord. I love her.
If you didn't get a chance to see all the sessions, they will be online at www.lds.org. and all the talks will be in print in the May issue of the Ensign. (YAY).

I love President Monson and his counselors, the apostles and all of the wonderful men and women that lead this church. I have grown to love and look forward to Conference weekend, and at its conclusion, I feel so edified and ready to conquer these next few weeks. I am so thankful for the gospel and my savior Jesus Christ and truly believe the men called to lead this church are men of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment