Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

let me come over i can waste your time

I will do anything to avoid going running right now, including answering questions that no one really wants the answers to. I've wanted to do this post for a while actually. Sometimes in my mind I like to create a scenario called "What-would-I-say-if-I-was-being-interviewed-for-a-fashion-magazine?" In my mind I am dressed impeccably, and not making the ridiculous face or biting my finger like the above image. Here we go. My pseudo interview. I am ridiculous.

Q: Who is your style icon and why?
A: Icon always insinuates a historical figure for some reason, and the first person to come to mind is Audrey Hepburn or Jackie O. I like classic and feminine and I think both of these women exemplified those two. My mother is the most stylish woman I know.

Q: Describe your style
A: Feminine, girly, occasionally preppy. I like pink and ruffles. I prefer to wear dresses. Occasionally I will add tougher pieces to my wardrobe, like combat boots or a leather jacket, but if the weather allowed and it was practical, I would wear a dress or skirt of some sort, a cardigan and pumps every day. I enjoy dressing up, but I wear what makes me happy and what I love. Sometimes it's trendy, sometimes it's impractical and most of the time people wonder why I "look so nice." That's not meant to sound arrogant. I think I look overdressed a lot of the time, especially going to class. My philosophy is I'm stuck in a really drab college town for the majority of my young adult years. It's cold most of the year and 95% of the time I'd rather be anywhere but Provo, Utah. If wearing a dress in a snowstorm is what it takes to make me happy, I'm going to do it. It's a lot better than succumbing to other vices.

Q: If you could have anyone's wardrobe, who would you choose and why?
A: Real- Olivia Palermo. Fiction- Blair Waldorf. I think Blair is the fictional Olivia and Olivia the real Blair. I have never seen Olivia Palermo in an outfit I didn't like at least a little bit. She is the epitome of chic and feminine. That woman always looks put together, even if she's walking her dog or going to yoga. I think of all the images I have on my computer of street style, she is the majority of my saved looks. The #1 reason I watch Gossip Girl is because of Blair Waldorf's wardrobe. I applaud the costume designers for that show, because their choices for Blair are spot-on what I would envision her character wearing. Again, epitome of chic and feminine, two aspects that I hope to exude when getting dressed.

Q: Who is your favorite designer?
A: Christopher Bailey and Oscar de la Renta. In my opinion, Christopher Bailey has an incredibly difficult task constantly reinventing and maintaining a classic fashion house, much like Karl Lagerfeld, Marc Jacobs, Sarah Burton and Stefano Pilati do of their iconic houses. The House of Burberry is such a staple in British fashion, and season after season Christopher Bailey delivers something completely new and refreshing to the house. I think Burberry Prorsum is incredibly classic and I am forever raving about how CB manages to revamp the iconic trenchcoat every season. It's amazing. Burberry is one of the few brands that I could honestly see myself wearing every single piece in a collection. Oscar de la Renta has established himself in womenswear and in my opinion, owns womenswear. He understands a woman's body and knows exactly what she should wear for any event to look perfectly feminine. His designs are flawless and compliment a woman's body. He has fun with his designs. I always look forward to Oscar's eveningwear because it's like watching a fairytale. I would describe Oscar de la Renta as the designer for princesses. Anything he creates would be fit for a princess to wear. I want him to do my wedding dress.

Q: Where do you buy most of your clothes?
A: J. Crew. I began working there last summer, but even before, I have been loyal to J. Crew. I will say, I did not wear J. Crew in middle school, but my mother has been loyal to the brand, even before it was cool, because there was a point when J. Crew was straight up boring. I am so attracted to the east coast and preppy style and I think J. Crew does such a good job combining trendy with classic and still maintaing its signature preppy appeal.

Q: What was the first designer purchase you have ever made?
A: I've never made a designer purchase. Ok, that's not entirely true. You know how designers come out with their more affordable line, like Marc by Marc? I have stuff like that. But I don't actually own any straight up designer anything. I actually have made a rule for myself that I won't even go into a designer store until I can actually buy something. I imagine the first designer purchase I will ever make will be a black quilted Chanel 2.55 bag.

Q: If you had $1,000 to spend on clothes, where would you go and what would you buy?
A: I'd go to J. Crew and buy patterned pencil skirts, everyday dresses, obscure colored cardigans, grey trousers, silk pocketed blouses and a pair of tortoise ballet flats. The majority of my $1,000 would go to dresses though.

Q: What are you wearing today?
A: Dark Zara skinnies, beige J. Crew vneck sweater, Aldo combat boots, beige J. Crew headband and the same jewelry I wear everyday.

Q: Jewelry?
A: I wear a rose gold Michael Kors watch, a silver bangle with my initials and a heart-shaped Tiffany ring every day. Sometimes I'll wear my Tiffany necklace or earrings too, but I usually forget.

Q: Perfume?
A: Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb. I don't wear it every day because I only have a small supply since it's so expensive, but it's my favorite perfume and it lasts from morning til night.

Q: Any last style tips?
A: Wear what you love, what makes you happy and what you're comfortable in. You could be in head-to-toe Prada, but if you don't feel comfortable, it'll show through in your disposition and your to-die-for outfit will be completely forgotten.
That was satisfying. Sorry so long and boring. I like to talk about clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment