Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

summer reading series


book club // favorite ever // lavished // dreamy // re: stacks // 24/7

Today the Twilight Concert Series was announced. Such a sick lineup this year. I am most excited about The National! But almost every week looks excellent. In lieu of the Twilight announcement, today I want to announce my summer reading series. Sorry that connection was so lame but I just needed you to know I am both hipster and literate.

Ender's Game- Orson Scott Card
The Alchemist- Paulo Coelho
The Corrections- Jonathan Franzen
Fast Food Nation- Eric Schlosser
Gone Girl- Gillian Flynn
Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey Into the Afterlife- Eben Alexander
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me- Mindy Kaling
Middlesex- Jeffrey Eugenides
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle- Haruki Murakami
Diary of an Oxygen Thief- Anonymous
After Visiting Friends: A Son's Story- Michael Hainey
Midnight's Children- Salman Rushdie
Breakfast of Champions- Kurt Vonnegut

I know it looks pretty ambitious, but let's remember I am unemployed and graduated. I feel like I've been stuck with a book hangover after The Marriage Plot. Does that ever happen to you? You finish a great book and can't really get over it so everything you read after is kind of blah? Except I think I'm getting out of it with The Corrections. It was listed as #1 in GQ's 21 Books From the 21st Century Every Man Should Read and so far it is excellent, but depressing as hell. I hate every character. I'll probably write a review about it shortly.

2 days until Great Gatsby!! I re-read it at work last week and am so excited to see the modern-day interpretation. The soundtrack is awesome. What are y'all reading this summer? Any recommendations? Oh and if you don't have it already, you need to get a Goodreads account and use it. It has been so helpful in keeping track of everything I've read, seeing what my friends have read and deciding what to read next. Please get it and friend me. It's so cool I swear.

1 comment:

  1. i love goodreads. now i know what i'll be reading this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete