Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

alexander wang, prabal gurung and derek lam fw 14

Azns are killing it in New York this week. Here are my thoughts on Alexander Wang, Prabal Gurung and Derek Lam.
You know you've made it when you're being name-dropped in Kanye and Jay-Z songs. Alexander Wang has come so far in the last couple years and this is another great collection from him. The first look is of course a fantastic neon coat. Actually looks like a bulkier version of one from J.Crew SS14. Next I'm obsessed with the magenta dress (?) layered under the puffy sherpa looking coat. I loooove this retro ski sweater and the neon collar in the next look. I am obsessed with the boots in this collection and you can see them best with the grey pocketed dress. This white collared dress has a great raw edge which contrasts nicely with the structured collar and shoulders. Finally I loved his closing looks using that scuba looking material. Very strong collection and always one of my favorites in New York.

Prabal! I love you. Most beautiful color palette in this collection, particularly his use of reds. I chose the first look because it was one of the simpler pieces of the collection but for me, one of the most wearable. Next is a great coat in that lovely teal. The third look was one of the most impressive to me because I could only think about how hard it was t construct. It looks like a suit jacket turned halter dress. Prabal is a master with the geometric silhouettes. Next I thought this gown was a fun take on the typical eveningwear with the fluffy feathers. The next look I chose because it's another great example of Prabal's geometric handiwork. I looove this orange evening gown with the printed top. Really beautiful. Finally his third and second to last looks were identical gowns in different shades of red. Very dramatic and I love the cutout in the belly. Someone wear this to the Oscars pleeeease.
Derek Lam is another favorite Asian designer, but I was a little bit disappointed with this collection. I thought the foldover fur bags were fun and I loved the t-shirt sweater in the second look. I liked the silhouette of this tan dress and the color and cutout of this deep purple gown. Overall it was a little boring and faded into the background amidst the other talents so far this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment