Pages

Monday, September 15, 2014

marc jacobs and burberry prorsum ss15

Finished up NYFW with none other than Marc Jacobs. I liked this show a lot and predicted it would be my favorite from New York. The theme was military uniforms and the show started with pretty drab, but chic jackets and pants with the cargo pockets and buttons. As the show progressed the pieces got more and more elaborate- bigger pockets, buttons and shapes. First look demonstrates the pretty simple take on the uniform. Second look was my favorite of the show because he used the most common color associated with military garb and created an evening gown. Third look was a fun and over-the-top use of buttons. It reminds me of Twiggy.
All the models wore black wigs and paraded around a pink house. Guests wore Beats by Dre headphones and listened to a vocal narrative of the show done by Steve Mackey (husband of Marc's stylist, Katie Grand). Pretty cool experience I think. I chose the last 2 looks because I thought they exemplified the different garments Marc militarized that day- coats, dresses, gowns, baby doll dress coats, etc. I thought Marc was great and because he handed MbMJ over to Luella and Katie, he had more time to create a spectacular spring/summer collection.

London Fashion Week started this weekend and I thought I'd kick off my London picks with my favorite house, Burberry Prorsum. I hate to say it, but this is one of my least favorite collections I've ever seen. Christopher Bailey re-did the denim jacket in a tailored silhouette and also cropped- bleh. So 90s and Clueless in a bad way. I did enjoy the ruffles and ombre shades. One thing I have always admired about Burberry is their distinction between Fall and Spring collections. I don't think you could ever mistake one for the other because Christopher's spring collections are so blatantly spring with the pretty pastels and softer hues. The first look I chose because it reminds me of a Georgia O'Keefe painting but not so vagina-y and just feminine and pretty.
The second look was probably my favorite from the show, a pretty basic dress you could wear to brunch or church. I'm a sucker for ruffles paired with a t-shirt silhouette. I chose the third look because it incorporated the heinous denim jacket I told you about. I hate it, but loved the blush ruffles. Finally another basic dress that I think would look great at Cannes. Cute and flirty and ruffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment